Today's modern approach to body waxing is calling for more difficult treatments than ever with the growing interest in Brazilian waxing, which can be intimidating if you don't have the correct knowledge and tools. Join us for this event that covers the steps of a successful Brazilian waxing treatment.
- Dallas | Monday, April 18, 2016 | 6pm–8pm | Dawn Wilson
- Chicago | Monday, June 13, 2016 | 6pm–8pm |
Pregnancy and the Skin
Elevate your knowledge to a superior level with ingredient expertise in this fascinating and informative class on pregnancy and the skin.
The body goes through many changes during pregnancy and the skin is no exception. Almost 90% of pregnant women will experience various skin conditions from pigmentation and breakouts to stretch marks and dryness. Learn how to answer their most pressing skin care questions on ingredients and treatments such as what to use and what to avoid. We’ll explore both physical and hormonal changes of pregnancy and provide you with the knowledge of what to expect when your clients expecting.
- Ft. Lauderdale | Tuesday, June 21, 2016 | 11am–1pm | Beth Bialko
- Minneapolis | Monday, July 18, 2016 | 11am–1pm | Beth Bialko
- Chicago | Monday, August 8, 2016 | 11am–1pm | Beth Bialko
Making Scents of Essential Oils
From great benefits to nontraditional uses, Essential Oils can enhance your treatment room experience. Learn how to customize your treatments and improve your own mood with these great aromas. This information is too good to miss!
Join us for this informative session on:
- The history of essential oils
- Benefits and unique uses in everyday life
- How to customize your services every step of the way
- Ways to improve your life, your business, your retailing and your mood with daily use
- Atlanta | Monday, April 11, 2016 | 11am–1pm | Patricia Faley
- Sacramento | Monday, June 20, 2016 | 10am–12pm | Laurel Windle
- Scottsdale | Monday, June 20, 2016 | 6pm–8pm | Sharon Bell
Intro to Oncology Skin Care
Your clients’ health comes first in a skin treatment – but do you know how to treat those clients who are also oncology patients? At this informative event, you’ll learn how to best treat the skin of those living with oncology-related issues. We’ll introduce you to the different medical treatments that your clients maybe receiving and we’ll also:
- Share which ingredients to look for and which to avoid
- Teach you how to prepare your treatment room to treat oncology patients
- Help you determine if you and your clients are emotionally ready for treatment
- Boston | Monday, April 25, 2016 | 11am–1pm | Sharon Bell
- Atlanta | Monday, August 1, 2016 | 11am–1pm | Sharon Bell
- Houston | Monday, July 11, 2016 | 10am–12pm | Sharon Bell
How to Identify, Shift and Capitalize on Today’s Consumer Trends
Technology has rapidly changed how we behave, shop and interact FOREVER yet many skin centers, salons and spas continue to operate in the same manner. To stay relevant, profitable and successful we have to continuously adapt our business around the needs, wants and desires of the consumer. We need to think differently and act fast to seize every opportunity to attract new clients, increase services, boost retail revenues and secure loyalty. It’s time to open your eyes, act fast and make sure you don’t get left behind!
- San Francisco | Monday, May 2, 2016 | 11am–1pm | Annet King
Oncology Skin Treatment Insights
Cancer touches so many lives and whether through personal, family or client experience, it’s almost impossible not to be affected in some way. Therapist education is essential and with modifications skin treatments can safely be provided for people in, or with a history of, cancer treatment.
Join us for an informative session with Johnnette du Rand from Greet the Day, where she will discuss treatment objectives, safety considerations, product selection and massage practices for oncology skin treatments, including adjustments required to safely address lymphedema, a common side effect of cancer treatment.
- San Francisco | Wednesday, September 20, 2016 | TBD | Johnnette du Rand
Know Your Peels
Peels and exfoliation series can send your skin treatments - and your revenue – to new heights. Join us for an exclusive lecture about the how-to's of peels, and find out what it takes to provide these sought-after resurfacing treatments in your skin therapy center!
At this informative event, our expert educators will uncover:
- What a chemical peel really is and how it works
- How deep a peel can penetrate
- The difference between a chemical peel and an exfoliant
- What you need to know regarding licensing, insurance, liability, proper homecare and training
- Irvine | Monday, May 2, 2016 | 10am–12pm | Tara Damiano
Spot On: Understanding the Causes of Pigmentation
The human skin color palette ranges from the very pale Celtic skin to the very dark skin found in regions of sub-Saharan Africa. Across this wide array of skin colors, there are also many disorders of the pigmentary system, resulting in issues with hypopigmentation and hyperpigmentation. Regardless of the nature of the problem, the general desire is for even skin tone. In this class, we'll cover:
- The triggers and biological mechanism of how pigment forms in the skin, and how we can impact and help our clients control their pigmentation disorders.
- An in-depth look at the melanotropins (MSH, estrogens, stress hormones) and how they influence the signaling pathway for melanin.
- How inflammation and pigmentation are intricately-related and how an understanding of the inflammatory process in our skin will lead to a better understanding of this form of pigmentation.
- Los Angeles | Monday, June 6, 2016 | 10am–12pm | Beth Bialko
- Vienna | Monday, June 20, 2016 | 11am–1pm | Patricia Faley
Dimples look great on cheeks – facial cheeks, that is. Cellulite is a term used to describe the dimpled appearance of skin caused by fat deposits that are just below the surface of the skin. Reports state that approximately 90% of women suffer from this unsightly condition. Magazine, TV and Internet ads are rife with treatments that claim to zap, melt, jiggle and freeze the fat away. The truth is cellulite is a complex condition involving the microcirculatory and lymphatic systems, extracellular matrix and subcutaneous fat.
In this dynamic lecture you’ll learn:
- What cellulite is
- How cellulite differs from "normal" fat
- The causes of cellulite
- Available treatment options for cellulite
- Orlando | Monday, June 20, 2016 | 11am–1pm | Beth Bialko
Solar Damage and Protection
As a professional skin therapist, you are on the front line touching and looking at your client’s skin. How often are you the first to spot a suspicious mole, raised spot or fleshy bump? You need to be informed about this subject to better educate your clients, friends and family about the dangers of UV exposure and not adequately protecting the skin.
From the World Health Organization, we know that both non–melanoma and melanoma skin cancers have been increasing. One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime! In this lecture you will:
- Understand the latest information on UV radiation and its effects on the skin
- Learn about the dangers of indoor tanning, the addiction factor and what your teenage clients need to know
- Take an in-depth look at the various types of skin cancers, from benign to malignant growths, how they form and what tell-tale signs to look for
- Scottsdale | Monday, June 20, 2016 | 11am–1pm | Laurel Windle
Guest Speaker Events
These industry seminars are offered complimentary to all professionals and IDI students.