Guest Speaker Seminars
These industry events are offered complimentary to all professionals and IDI students.
Today's modern approach to body waxing is calling for more difficult treatments than ever with the growing interest in Brazilian waxing, which can be intimidating if you don't have the correct knowledge and tools. Join us for this event that covers the steps of a successful Brazilian waxing treatment.
- Scottsdale | Monday October 14, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Beth Bialko
- Chicago | Monday November 4, 2013 | 2 pm – 4 pm | Beth Bialko
- Minneapolis | Tuesday November 12, 2013 | 11 am – 1 pm | Beth Bialko
Introduction to Oncology Skin Care
At this informative event, you'll learn how to best treat the skin of oncology patients. We'll introduce you to the different medical treatments that your clients maybe receiving and we'll explain how you can best prepare your treatment room. You'll also learn which ingredients to look for and which to avoid.
- Washington D.C. | Monday September 16, 2013 | 11 am – 1 pm | Sharon Bell
Shed the Red
Rosacea affects 45 million people worldwide, yet nearly half of the world’s population is in the dark when it comes to identifying and understanding this common skin disorder. This condensed science-packed event will uncover the mysteries behind Rosacea and how you can begin treatment by understanding its causes. At this special event, you’ll:
- Understand the biological basis of Rosacea
- Know when to recommend medical help vs. designing a professional treatment plan
- Recognize Triggers and Tripwires that affect Rosacea
- Dallas | Monday October 7, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Laurel Vollmert
What Women Really Want
You may consider yourself an expert shopper, but have you contemplated the way women think and behave during the purchasing process? Do you understand their buying signals, desires, needs and what really puts them off? In this informative, amusing, and totally fascinating seminar, you will appreciate and master what actually drives the female buying decision, allowing you to appreciate and capitalize on the unique psychology of the female mind! Learn how to lift your retail sales to new heights by making simple changes to how you interact with your clients. Seats are filling up fast so don’t miss your chance to catch this intriguing – and results producing – lecture!
- San Francisco | Monday October 7, 2013 | 11 am – 1 pm | Annet King
As Skin Therapists, we are so focused on taking care of our clients and their needs that we often forget about ourselves. Take some time out for you and learn some simple techniques to help you deal with the occupational hazards of being a skin therapist. At this event, you’ll learn:
- Correct body mechanics and posture to perform perfect treatments
- Simple stretches and techniques to alleviate stress
- How to reconnect and restore balance to yourself
- Irvine | Monday October 14, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Laura West
Solar Damage and Protection
As a professional skin therapist, you are on the front line touching and looking at your clients' skin. How often are you the first to spot a suspicious mole, raised spot or fleshy bump? Get informed about this subject to better educate your clients, friends and family about the dangers of UV exposure. In this lecture you will learn how to understand the latest information on UV radiation and its effects on the skin, the dangers of indoor tanning, the addiction factor and what your teenage clients need to know. Take an in-depth look at the various types of skin cancers, from benign to malignant growths, how they form and what tell-tale signs to look for.
- Atlanta | Monday October 21, 2013 | 10 am – 12 pm | Patricia Faley
Hormones and the Skin
Move over mood swings, hormones are also responsible for breakouts, pigmentation, sagging, and dehydrated skin! One hundred percent of women have to deal with the effects of their hormones at some point in their life – whether it's during puberty, pregnancy, menopause, or even stressful situations. Join us for a discussion with Dr. Claudia Aguirre as she tells us how hormones affect the skin. We'll uncover some of the myths out there and provide answers to these pressing questions that most women will inevitably ask themselves!
- Philadelphia | October 26, 2013 | 11 am – 1 pm | Patricia Faley
Nutrition and the Skin
In this exciting new class, we'll uncover the latest information behind how nutrients like vitamins, minerals and antioxidants work to promote skin health. We'll touch on how dietary deficiencies can lead to health problems and take a look at how dietary nutrients have made their way into the skin care ingredient repertoire.
- Los Angeles | Monday October 28, 2013 | 10 am – 12 pm | Dr. Claudia Aguirre
- Sacramento | Monday November 4, 2013 | 10 am – 12 pm | Dr. Claudia Aguirre
- Denver | Monday November 11, 2013 | 11 am – 1 pm | Laurel Vollmert
Professional Makeup Tips with Joanne McDonough
Spend time with Joanne McDonough, founder of Joya Beauty, the Seacoast's Premiere Professional Makeup Artist & Skin Care Therapist. You will learn:
- How to work with colors and the relationships for colors in make up
- Face Shapes and how to work with them
- How to intensify a day to a night look
- A step by step guide to a successful make up application
- What are the best brushes to use
- How to create a face chart for a client to work with at home
This amazing evening will end with a demonstration of a make up application.
- Boston | Monday October 28, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Joanne McDonough
Know Your Peels
Peels and exfoliation series can send your skin treatments – and your revenue – to new heights. Join us for an exclusive lecture about the how-to’s of peels, and find out what it takes to provide these sought-after resurfacing treatments in your skin therapy center! At this informative event, our expert educators will uncover:
- What a chemical peel really is and how it works
- How deep a peel can penetrate
- The difference between a chemical peel and an exfoliant
- What you need to know regarding licensing, insurance, liability, proper homecare and training
- Orlando | Monday November 4, 2013 | 2pm – 4 pm | Whitney Johnson
- Fort Lauderdale | Tuesday November 5, 2013 | 11 am – 1 pm | Whitney Johnson
New Facts, More Fiction, Latest Fantasy
Our industry is full of all sorts of claims. Can you tell the difference between fact, fiction and fantasy? Retinoids, snake venom, meteorite dust, stem cells, sirtuins, Snap-8, chia seeds…even snail slime! Celebrities clamor for bee venom facials and dragon's blood, but do any of these ingredients actually do anything? Join Dr. Diana Howard, our VP of Research at The International Dermal Institute, as she separates science from science fiction in this newly-updated class. Learn which trends are revolutionary advances in modern science, and which are marketing nonsense – and have the confidence to knowledgably discuss them all with your clients.
- New York | Monday November 4, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Diana Howard