"Should I be concerned about the toxicity of chemical sunscreens (such as Octinoxate, etc.)?"
  • Print

The answer to your question depends on what you mean by toxicity. Water at too high of a dose can be toxic. And are you referring to harm done to the body or the environment? Chemical sunscreens are a wide family of chemicals with differing properties. Some chemical sunscreens absorb UV light and release free radicals in the body as by-products. So you want to look for a sunscreen that has antioxidants like Vitamin C to quench free radicals or a sunscreen with photostabilizers.

View All Questions

Don't see your question? You can suggest a question to us - if we think it's great, we'll answer it online.