News

• What is Keratosis Pilaris and How Can I Treat It?

KP
    Keratosis Pilaris is a common issue in which dead skin cells block hair follicles, thereby trapping the hair and causing red bumps. The bumps can sometimes become inflamed and appear red in color. Often seen on the arms and legs, this condition can be coupled with dryness.

So how does one treat this condition? Exfoliate and Hydrate.

Use a textured buffing cloth with an exfoliating body scrub in the shower every other day. Then, at least two times a week, sweep a natural bristle, dry body brush gently over your skin. After, stand in a warm bath and exfoliate your skin using a combination of mineral salts and ready-blended aromatherapy oil.

Once you have massaged this over your whole body (excluding the face) lie down and enjoy a warm soak while the mineral salts continue to nourish the skin and the oils leave you silky soft. As soon as you get out of the shower or bath, apply a hydroxy acid-based body moisturizer to damp skin, which will both trap precious hydration and continue to gently slough dead cells.

This routine will gradually help to unplug the follicles, allowing the hair to grow naturally. Improvements can be seen within about one week!

9 Comments

• betsy mcelwee Says:

I have KP and even dermatologist prescribed products I have tried aren’t taking it away, just making it a little better. I plan on trying this, are there any products you recommend?

Thanks,
      Betsy

October 25, 2011 at 8:51 pm
    • Sally Penford Says:

Hi Betsy, I’m sorry to hear that you are not having any success with your prescribed products. I personally use Dermalogica for my skin concerns and get great results. If you go to an authorised account they will be able to Body Map you and prescribe exactly the right combination for your needs. My favourites are the Exfoliating Body Scrub and the Buffing Cloth! Hope you see an improvement.

-Sally

October 31, 2011 at 9:48 pm
    • Lisa Says:

Dear Betsy,
      I just saw your comment and I do agree that the Dermalogica body products are wonderful there is a quick alternative to help with KP. There is a product called Moisturizing Glove by Pamper Yourself. They are located in Maryland and only sell this product. It contains Vitamins A & E, Retin-A and Glycolic Acid. This a great cream for eczema, KP and other dryness issues. But remember to use the sunscreen because if you are outside for long periods of time the Retin-A will cause redness and peeling (I’ve only seen this once on a farmer), otherwise you shouldn’t have any problems. Hope this helps!

November 21, 2011 at 8:28 pm
    • Sarah Antos Says:

A very effective and inexpensive product that exfoliates plus hydrates is the Liquid Body Lufra by Nu Skin. I never go a day without this product and love the fact that Nu Skin is known for all of the good and none of the bad.

January 4, 2012 at 11:53 am
    • Ariane Mariano Says:

There is a direct link from KP to gluten intolerance. In particular Celiac disease. Our skin was clear within a few days of removing gluten and sugar from mine and my daughters diets.

June 24, 2016 at 4:38 pm
    • Heather L Says:

I live Dermalogica & I have found when this happens to me, I go into my ultra calming line & it works! It has saved me the last couple weeks. I do agree that one must also exfoliate during this process.

June 24, 2016 at 5:08 pm
    • Jessica Says:

My 11yo son currently has KP. Would you say that the Dermalogica products and the other products mentioned would be safe for a kiddo? I have only ever tried the Eucirin body lotion with AHA(teal lid). Doesn’t seem to do a whole lot on its own. TIA!

June 25, 2016 at 4:38 am
      • IDI's Response:

Hi Jessica!

In regards to Dermalogica products, yes you can use them for your son to help alleviate some of the symptoms of Keratosis Pilaris. Exfoliation and hydration are key and since KP can often be accompanied by inflammation, so we’d recommend starting off gradually with the Exfoliating Body Scrub about three times per week in the shower. Also, be sure to avoid soap as it can strip and dry the skin. Opt for Conditioning Body Wash as it’s soap and fragrance free. To maintain hydration, apply Body Hydrating Cream that contains hydroxy acids to gently slough off dead skin cells and it boosts the skins moisture content.

June 27, 2016 at 3:50 pm
    • Wendy Canzanese Says:

KP and rough dry skin in general can be comforted by Dermalogica products. The Body Hydrating Cream is both soothing and effective in treatment. But let’s make sure to remind our clients to cool their shower down 1 degree at a time! Showering in a hot shower only exasperates those dry skin conditions.

Exfoliation is easy with a mild body wash, good enough for a baby…good enough for an adult, with a dry brush beforehand and either a manual scrub or wash cloth unless you have a buffing cloth that can be put into your washing machine with towels on a weekly basis with the addition of chlorine bleach. Yes to the the addition of essential oils to hydrate the skin after bathing. I love Dermalogica Hydrating Body Cream, which is not only rich in all the ingredients to quench your skin, but your mind! Let’s not forget that nourishing the body with whole foods, packed with beta carotene and other cleansing foods changes our bodies reaction from the inside out. Teach your clients the whole picture.

July 28, 2016 at 6:53 pm